Business Name

Dyno & Track Results

1989 Mercury Cougar XR7

This weekend was kind of fun. I got a chance to see the results of my work from the past several months. David of SCU from Ohio flew in on Thursday night to tune my car as well as some others. We did a little road testing Thursday night to see where things were at. The tune he sent me was pretty close. On Friday, I got the car all cleaned up and wired in the IC fan. We ended up running out of time Friday night for my car, so it had to wait until Saturday.

Once I got the car strapped down, things went pretty smoothly. He had the tune all set in 3-4 pulls. The AF is perfect all the way across the run. The tune is a nice safe one, using stock timing. The car runs great now, and I'm quite happy with the results. We gained about 15hp and 15ft lbs on the dyno just with tuning. He was a little disappointed with the hp number, as he thought it would of been higher. I have a few little things planned yet that hopefully will boost that number up to the 225-230 range, but I'll worry about those later. As you can see from the boost numbers, there is some restriction in the system for sure. The boost continues to creep up to 16lbs, while the power drops off. Hopefully once I change up a few things, it will hit 13lbs and level out at that point. Either way, the car is really fun to drive and pretty respectable for a 19 year old V6.

There are not too many pictures due to me running around helping other people and strapping cars on and off the dyno. Here are a few my friend took and the dyno graph. Next on the list is to fix the cruise, some interior lighting, and the AC. I'm planning to take the car to the track next weekend, so we'll see what kind of times I end up with.

May 9-10, 2008

This update isn't completely work related, but I thought it was worth including. I took my car on a little road trip this weekend to Earlville, IA. The car made the 760 mile trip without any problems. I made 9 passes at the local drag strip, and averaged 24-25 mpg on the drive there and back. I'm glad I was able to get the cruise fixed earlier in the week. All I had to do was adjust the brake cutout switch, and it fixed it!

As far as how the car performed, I couldn't be more happy with it. I was really surprised actually, as I didn't think it would be quite as quick through the 1/4 as it was. I ended up with a best of 14.1 @ 97mph. The first pass of the day, I hooked up perfectly but messed up the shift, and had to let out. The second pass I hooked up pretty well, but not like before, and ran my best time of the day. At that point, my TL clutches had enough and I couldn't get my DR's heated up with only one wheel spinning. Oh well, just another thing to add to the to do list. I did run quite a few 14.2's and 14.3's to back up that best run. In qualifying, the car ran back to back 14.22 and 14.27. If I would of been able to hook up the rest of the day, I think I could of pulled out a 14.0. I did manage to win the bracket race, so the car is fairly consistent.

The next major project will be the AC system and getting the windows tinted. I need to replace the compressor for sure, and maybe more once I get into it.

May 17, 2008

Cougar | Info | Plan | Start | 2007 | 2007 | 2007 | 2008 | 2008 | 2008 | 2008 | 2008 | 2009 | 2009 | 2009 | 2009 | 2009 | 2009 | 2009 | 2009 | 2009 | 2009 | 2009 | 2009 | 2009 | 2009 | 2009 | 2009 | 2009 | 2010